Thursday, February 18, 2010

Concentration Critique

Concentration Statement:

My concentration is focused on the idea of reflections. The artwork that I am creating will explore the ideas of finding reflections in normal and not so normal places: a mirror, surface of water, a teapot, etc. I hope to play with the lighting and color that is reflected across surfaces and objects to stretch the idea of reflections. I will use different media and images to express my opinion and views on reflections.

(statement still a work in progress)



***My first concentration piece is a contour line drawing of a reflection of myself in a mirror. (above) This is definitely not my best work, but I still am sort of drawn to it. There is way to much white space I think, and I am still working on it. I think that if maybe I added some color the piece would be more interesting to the eye. My drawing focuses on line most I believe, because the drawing consists of only one line. I enjoyed creating this piece of art, regardless of whether I am proud of it or not. It definitely differs from most of the work I create. Usually I stray away from portraits, especially self-portraits. There is not much movement in the piece, but I feel as though your eyes move across the piece as a whole by following the lines. This drawing is still a work in progress, so please give me any needed feedback and criticism! ***






***My second concentration piece is of a reflection of jewelry into a portable little mirror. So far this is probably my favorite piece that I have made. It is really simple and detailed, which is sometimes my favorite kind of art. There are still some small minor changes I would like to make to this, like making the mirror seem more cemented to the ground, because as of now it looks awkward, which is embarrassing. I do not want to change the white space, I think that it really adds to the piece as a whole. I think that there is a nice unity within my piece from the necklace on the ground to the necklace reflected in the mirror. I think that I demonstrate some good value within this drawing as well. There is not any movement, however, your eyes follow the necklace nicely through out the piece. Please give feedback!!***









***My third concentration piece shown on my blog is a water color painting of the sun and shadows reflecting across ocean water and sand. The sun was coming down so the colors of the sunset in the sky played nicely across the ocean. I was at the beach with Linnea and I was taking lots of pictures because the setting was just so beautiful and I found it so intriguing that reflections could occur on surfaces like sand, as well as water. I am not really fond of this piece, which is frustrating, but I am still working on making it how I like it. This differs greatly from the two drawings I did above, especially since I chose to not use a mirror for these reflections and I tried to use alot of color. I used a sense of color and value to design reflections throughout the piece. I feel as though there is a sense of balance between the reflection of the person across the sand and the reflection of the sun across the water. There is just something about this piece that doesn't seem right to me though, so please help me figure it out. K thanks. ***








Thank you for all the criticism and feedback, it is greatly appreciated :] (don't feel bad about hurting my feelings!)

5 comments:

  1. hello!
    My initial reaction to your pieces was that I felt the first two flow well for the obvious surface reasons and the third one seems random and the reflection idea is not as clear. did you consider doing your entire concentration in black and white? That consistency of style seems to have been working out for you.
    As for the first two pieces, I think you have a good sense of placement. I love the idea of one-line drawings.
    In the third piece though, i think maybe what you're lacking is harmony between all of the elements - the sun the figure the setting. by bringing some of that yellow into the rest of the piece you could make it seem more cohesive and it would flow better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your concentration idea about reflections, and i like the 2nd and 3rd, but i am having problems with the first. I like how although the mirror is central you yourself are not, but i am having issues with the background. i cannot tell what is happening with the space behind the mirror. maybe if you cut it out, so the mirror was the canvas itself, then the problem might go away. i am assuming it is a picture of yourself drawing yourself, but the abruptness in which the legs end make is seem as if it is actually two separate pieces. maybe if you legs were lying on the paper instead of being cut off it would work a bit better. But i do like how you used your lines, especially in the hair and on the clothes. the lack of color also makes it seem even more like a reflection if that makes any sense at all. but i really like the other two.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With the mirror one, I really like the quality of the contour- there is definitely some good space. But then I feel like it lacks balance, almost like its a big bunch of image and then the white space around the mirror almost feels like it shouldn't be there- it almost distracts from the main image at times. I think if you somehow added something to the wall. It's weird but you could go in with a thinner marker or pencil and make it like a wood panel wall? I feel like that would give it some more interest like you wanted while not completely drawing away from the central image.

    For the second one with the necklace, I too really like the detail and big white space of it. The composition of the mirror is very nice, avoiding the center of the page and such. I think the mirror needs to be casting a shadow, even if very small, so help show its placement on the ground. I really like this one- the details are very nice and the values very well done!

    The biggest thing that catches my attention with the sunset piece is the figure and their feet. The shadow does not connect to the person, giving it a weird sense of limbo, the feet are also like sticks, they need to flow into the ground somehow to show that they're not only on sand but have feet. I actually really like the sharp lines of the water though- it gives it a really big sense of movement. And I do see how the person balances out the sun and visa versa, but I almost feel like the person is too over-powering, like my eye is always drawn away from the sunset to the person. I feel like the water could use some more dark dark black-not big chunks or anything, but just enough to show that same value in the water that the person has.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so firstly i have absolutely no problem with the first picture., i really love the lines and how you used them. I feel like there is so much movement inside the mirror and not everything needs to be clear. Mirrors are very confusing things. The lines really make your eye travel around the picture.

    I feel like the second picture is laking a sense of completeness, i really don't know what it needs maybe more on the reflection or some kind of shadow. however compositionally i like it and the empty space works well to draw the attention to the reflection.

    The third i nice i like how the colors blend because thats how sunsets usually appear, but you could definitely make shadows and reflections connect more to where they are coming from :)

    Great job!!. btw. my sister a few years back decided that she wanted to do a myspace mirror picture (if you remember that craze) but instead of a mirror she used the back of an i pod because the basically look like mirrors (the old minis) so it was half her face in the back of an ipod and it look really cool . that just reminded me of your concentration :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey I really the contourness of the piece, but I feel like it’s underdeveloped. Going back in with more marks seems like it would take away from the effect youre trying to have, but if you went in with some less defined colors, not necessarily following the lines, but the balance of the shapes, that could make it seem more finished

    I think the second piece has great craftsmanship and it displays your skill well, I especially like how circular the mirror turned out. maybe you could pay more attention to the base though. the reflective part of the mirror tells me that youre capable of making the base look really realistic.

    ReplyDelete